#Relationshipgoals?

Seeing as it's 2019 now, I want to start my post off with the discussion of goals. But no, not the kind that you set out to achieve each year, rather the kind I constantly see on my social media pages. As I scroll through Instagram, Pinterest, VSCO, etc. I'm bombarded with posts about how someone's boyfriend is #relationshipgoals or how two people are #friendshipgoals; the list goes on and on. Despite how "cute" these posts can be, they lead me to wonder what unrealistic expectations they can often set for people.

Viewers tend to forget that people who have #lifegoals have low points as well. For example, a YouTuber named Sierra Furtado became engaged to her boyfriend, Alex Terranova, with the pictures being reposted hundreds of times with the #relationshipgoals. It was seen in some of Sierra's later videos that she wasn't wearing her engagement ring - an observation that caused people to speculate whether the couple had broken up. Truth be told, the couple was simply having some problems and decided to take their relationship slow and back to its roots, as they felt everything had moved so fast. People were broken over the idea that their relationship was not perfect, but isn't it the truth that no relationship ever is?

My best friend and I have been best friends for five years now, and trust me, it was not an easy ride. Not to say that I'm not grateful for her in my life; she's been one of my greatest supporters and will always be one of my favorite people. However, we've been in tough situations before. But, if the two of us could manage to keep it together through something that challenged us, it strengthened our friendship more than it may have tried to break it down. This idea that we can face anything together, both positive and negative, is what really makes us best friends.
"...I ask you to accept some of the good with the bad - even though it may not make such good copy for your newspapers." - Clare Boothe Luce
Just like Luce asks her audience to take the "good with the bad", I want to remind you all to do the same. We tend to idealize things and want them to be absolutely perfect, but unfortunately, life doesn't always work that way. By no way do I condone toxic relationships or friendships; if something isn't working for deeper reasons, it might not be the best to continue. However, life moves too fast for you to be caught up in a world of silly expectations, so remember to let go of the #goals lifestyle and face reality - it'll end up better than you think.

Sierra and Alex's engagement (#relationshipgoals?)

Comments

  1. Hi Dhatri! I enjoyed your modern application of Luce's quote. I agree that it's extremely easy to be caught in the illusion that social media creates, and it's important to remember that everyone is human. The sadness of realizing that your idol doesn't have the perfect life you thought they did isn't fun, but is necessary in the grand scheme of things. Without doing so, you're bound to live a life of disappointment. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dhatri, I really liked your post! I completely agree that the way people are advertised on social media often lead us to mistaken people who are just like us, as perfect. I love how you said that it's important to keep in mind that the good doesn't come without the bad. It becomes more and more difficult to see both sides when we are only ever exposed to one. Thank you for this post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

tbh!

What's in a Name?