Storytelling in my Life

Personally, I don't know much about my family history. Not that I haven't wanted to learn about it, but more so for the fact that much of it wasn't documented. For example, none of my grandparents know what their actual date of birth is. None of them have true birth certificates since they were born in obscure villages where documentation was not seen as important. There are very few pictures from my parents' childhoods because the only cameras available to them were in studios that required appointments to be made. This leaves a great deal of mystery for my relatives and me. After all, we want to learn more about our past, but how can we do that if we have nothing to lead us?

Aside from my past, I wonder how my posterity will react to me. If they want to learn about their past, they'll have the opposite of me: an abundance of information. From my Instagram profile, to my Snapchat memories, to even my VSCO profile, social media will provide them with as much information as they want. This makes me wonder, how will my future relatives react to all of this?

If social media is really the "best projection of my life", will all of this really give my descendants a proper view of me? However, the same idea can be argued for my past. If the only pictures I have seen of my ancestors are those that were posed and taken in a studio, is that really what I should be going off of to judge the past?

Perhaps, we shouldn't view our past simply through documentation and images. Ultimately Milkman was only able to connect his family's dots through a song:
"Solomon done fly, Solomon done gone; Solomon cut across the sky, Solomon gone home." - Toni Morrison
Similar to this, my parents have been telling me stories about my family, since I was young. I know that these stories are more reliable than any picture I've seen because they represent real experiences, not formal memories. Hopefully, when I'm older, I can pass down these same stories to tell my children about their past as well as add some of my own experiences. Through storytelling tradition, the past will never be forgotten.

My cousin, brother, and me with my grandpa:)

Comments

  1. Dhatri, I really like this post! I agree with the fact that it is questionable that what we put on the Internet is actually an accurate representation of our lives. This ties into the whole debate on whether social media should even be used if mostly everything on it isn't authentic or real. I also think that storytelling is the best way that we can remember the past and that it is something precious that we must hold on to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

tbh!

What's in a Name?

#Relationshipgoals?