What If...?

In case you haven't been up-to-date with recent pop culture, Ariana Grande just released a song last week in which she thanked her ex-boyfriends/fiancĂ© for allowing her to find herself. She titled it, "Thank U, Next" to symbolically show her moving on from her loving her exes to loving herself, as that was the most meaningful relationship she could possibly have. Being a fan of hers, I played this song as soon as I found out about its existence, and it's been on repeat ever since. After listening to it for countless hours, it got me thinking: how difficult is moving on, really?

Maybe it's actually very simple to move on, but it's the "what-ifs" that keep us tied down. What if the friendship could've worked out? What if I didn't do this; would we still be okay? By thinking about these constant what-ifs, we force the blame upon ourselves and give ourselves false hope - a dangerous consequence.

Perhaps, it's also due to the closure that we get from certain situations. Rarely do we end any relationship with certainty. At least for me, there's definitely friends that I wish I could still be talking to today, but unfortunately, we didn't end on the best terms, so it's difficult to go back. It's from this uncertainty or lack of closure that my what-ifs stem from.
"So I walked away and left him standing there in the moonlight - watching over nothing." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay Gatsby is stuck in a world of what-ifs. His whole life has been based on reaching for a green light and answering the question: what if Daisy and I worked out? Unfortunately, his final answer to this was not what he expected, leaving him to grasp at nothing but an empty horizon.

Rather than make this a despondent post, I would like to end with sincerity. Although I too wish I could answer all the what-ifs that wander in my head, I know that it is not fully possible. Sometimes, it's true; we just have to move on. Of course, you should let your memories shape you and teach you valuable lessons. But remember that when one door closes, another one opens (sorry about the cliché Mrs. Valentino). Leaving a door open will just leave you to end up like Gatsby - floating in a swimming pool of false hope.

Trying to channel my inner Esther Choi this week by giving you all a song recommendation! I definitely recommend this song, though; it really allows you to appreciate your past while simultaneously growing from it. Have fun listening, and let me know what you think:)

Comments

  1. Dhatri, I really loved this post! I think that because we think of all of the what if's that we cannot put complete closure on situations and relationships;the endless possibilities of different interpretations leaves us overthinking and overanalyzing. This, like you said, could give false hope, which ends up hurting us more in the long run. Thank you for the advice and I'm so happy that you recommended a song! Definitely will be listening to it all this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

tbh!

What's in a Name?

#Relationshipgoals?