tbh!

I'm going to be honest; there's no one that I'm completely honest with 100% of the time. Now, that might sound terrible, but let's think about it. I've lied to my parents about how much money I spent at Taco Bell in a week (it's SO good), to my brother about losing his sweatshirt (oops), and to my friends about how I'm almost at their house when I'm actually fifteen minutes away. Some of these could be considered white lies, but would it have made a difference if I told the truth?

We seem to advertise the truth as a divine virtue. As children, we are taught to be honest, while our parents tell us about Santa Claus. In school, we are told to never waver from the truth, while our textbooks emit information from the darker portions of American history (I didn't learn until internment camps of WW2 until 8th grade). This "hypocrisy is a human universal", making it almost socially accepted to relieve the truth in favor of "what looks best".

It's become inconvenient to tell the truth. We tell white lies because it's easier for us to give someone this answer rather than supply them with what might have actually happened. The problem is, many of these white lies end up becoming larger. Let's say I don't tell my friend I'm annoyed at something she did because I don't think it'll be beneficial to our relationship. There's a possibility that she could continue to do that and from there, everything will build up so that it finally reaches a breaking point and explodes. Meanwhile, if I just told the truth to her in the first place, this whole situation could've been avoided.

Look, I'm not telling you to be so blatantly honest that you end up just being hurtful and ignorant. Obviously, sometimes the whole truth is not necessary! But, when dealing with relationships, honesty is ALWAYS important. We often forget that and choose convenience in favor of an honest relationship. A true friend won't leave because of your honesty in a tough time, even if it hurts. As long as you're still there to support them, they'll stick around, trust me. Let's not allow the convenience integrated into our society become an influence on personal relationships; we're better than that.


Comments

  1. Wow Dhatri I love this blog so much! You display such intriguing and important details that everyone needs to consider within their daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! These white lies that people tell us on the daily continue to grow exponentially and in the end, it hurts us even more... even if the goal was to do the opposite. Amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you made your post so conversational and relatable. The connection you made with white lies and how they can only build up to something bigger is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sentence about how it's become inconvenient to tell the truth. Someone once told me that people lie about 100 times a day on average. I didn't believe them then, but after reading this, I realize how often we actually do lie, whether intentionally or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dhatri! I really enjoyed the examples you brought up about the hypocrisy surrounding the "sacredness" of truth while we're being brought up. When you said that true friends will stick through the truth, I can't agree more with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a Name?

#Relationshipgoals?