Put It in Context

If you scrolled through my Google Photos and found a random picture of me from freshman year, I would be able to tell you exactly how I was feeling/what was going on with me at the time, regardless of the expression on my face. It's almost as if any personal photograph can transport me back to a time of my life, even if there are fifty filters overlaying it (throwback to those Instagram filters from 7th grade!!) Granted, I would not be able to do this with a six-month-old picture of me, but the memories still stand. 

Now, if someone else looked at my smiling selfie at Mackinac Island, would they really know that I was actually really sick and did not want to be there? Probably not. Yet, when I look at pictures of other people, namely celebrities, I make the mistake of immediately forming judgments about them.

Let's look at paparazzi photos. For those of you who don't know, paparazzi are people whose sole job is to follow celebrities around and take pictures of them, mostly just doing "normal" things. This can range from Kendall Jenner shopping around Beverly Hills to Ariana Grande licking a donut. While all of this is super fun to look at, it can often become an outlet for criticism. 


Take a look at this picture of Britney Spears from 2008. It was taken during her "breakdown" when she decided to shave her head and attack the paparazzi with an umbrella. While this picture does make her seem like a crazy person, no one really understands the context. Britney was having a meltdown because she was distressed with anxiety from the public eye and her custody battle with her newly divorced ex-husband. She only shaved her head to feel "liberated" as if she had control over something in her life.

I don't think that any of you have really shaved your head or attacked people in the name of "liberation", but I do know that most of us have experienced a time of extreme stress or vulnerability where we might cry or "breakdown". Lucky for us, though, we don't have to show anyone this because we don't live in constant judgment by millions of people.

We want celebrities to be real people, but we don't want them to actually be REAL people. Of course, it's fun to see them hang out with their friends or go shopping, but why would we ever want to see them cry or be distressed?! It ruins our "perfect" image, indirectly removing the "attraction and provocativeness" (Sontag) of their glamorous lives.

In my opinion, photos offer the value of timeless memories but only when provided with CONTEXT. It's important for us to remember that a photo is simply one frame in the scope of life. Yes, a celebrity might have one bad hair day or have made a bad decision, but don't we all? If we don't try to look at someone else's photos the way we look at our own, we will have become consumed by "the most irresistible form of mental pollution" (Sontag).

Comments

  1. Hey Dhatri, great blog post this week! I enjoyed your synthesis of personal and celebrity photos, and how they often don't accurately represent the context of the situation. Perhaps if we all had flashbulb memories, photographs would be more powerful in expressing all that was happening at the moment it was captured! However I take issue with your assumption that none of us have shaved our heads or attacked people in the name of "liberation". In fact, that is exactly the activity I am planning to pursue once APs are over! Just a friendly reminder to never overgeneralize your audience. Great post as always, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response, Amogh! Once again, I love how you have managed to incorporate psychology ("flashbulb memories") into this post. You are truly an AP Psych legend, so I do not think you will need to "liberate" after APs. Despite this, I hope you accept my apology for overgeneralizing my audience, and I hope your head shaving goes well:) Make sure to post some pictures on Instagram, so I can see the "glo-up", as the kids say these days. Happy liberating!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

tbh!

What's in a Name?

#Relationshipgoals?